Bucksport NEXT was originally formed to develop a new Comprehensive Plan for the town. The Plan identifies the Town's strengths, weaknesses and what needs to be done to ensure that Bucksport will remain an attractive place to live, work and visit for the NEXT ten years. The Plan has received both state and town approval and is in effect as of May 25, 2017. It may be viewed online (below) or copies of the Plan may be purchased by contacting the Bucksport Town Office at 469-7368.
Bucksport NEXT has now transformed into a forum through which representatives of all local planning groups may get together periodically to share their successes, plans and challenges for the benefit of all, voluntarily:
- Considering the Town's vision
- Enhancing coordination
- Avoiding duplication
- Sharing resources
- Measuring progress
- Building enthusiasm
- Acknowledging excellence
Click on links for more information about each organization:
- Buck Memorial Library: Community Library
- Bucksport Area Cultural Arts Society (BACAS)
- Bucksport Bay Business Coalition promoting prosperity and quality of life in our area.
- Bucksport Bay Healthy Communities is a comprehensive community health coalition
- Bucksport Heart & Soul: Moving ahead with Community Generated Action Ideas
- Bucksport Historical Society and Museum: Preserving and exhibiting Bucksport's past.
- Bucksport Planning Board: Reviewing applications and developing land use regulations
- Bucksport Senior Resource Committee: Bringing an AARP Age-Friendly Bucksport
- Bucksport Town Council, Manager and committees: Representing the people of Bucksport
- Bucksport YMCA: Recreation, Fitness and Health.
- Comprehensive Plan Implementation group: aka "Bucksport NEXT"
- Friends of Fort Knox: Preserving and enhancing the Fort's educational, cultural & economic value
- Friends of Silver Lake: Promoting the well-being of Silver Lake, Bucksport
- Great Pond Mountain Conservation Trust: Conserving land, water and wildlife habitat in our region
- HOME Co-op: Orland-based assistance for housing, employment and other human needs
- Main Street Bucksport: Promoting a vibrant downtown
- Maine Maritime Academy: Establishing a mariner training center in Bucksport.
- RSU 25: Bucksport, Orland, Prospect, and Verona Island public schools
- Wednesdays on Main: Organizing live events on Main St. Bucksport
- Whole Oceans: Bringing local, sustainable farm-raised Atlantic salmon to Bucksport